Farmhouse Powder Room Makeover, $100 Room Challenge

Horray, it’s reveal day! (Or in my case, reveal night after the kids go to bed!) The challenge is to take just three weeks and $100 to completely transform a room. The room I selected is our dated 1960’s powder room.

This was such a rewarding challenge. The budget was not quite as big as my imagination, but I’m so happy with how much we tackled!

Here is a look again at where we started three weeks ago…my yellow and green 1960’s time capsule.

$100 room challenge 1960's powder room makeover before photos

And here is the powder room today!

$100 room challenge. 1960's bathroom makeover with a $100 budget. Farmhouse style powder room makeover on a budget. #budgetdecor #homediy #farmhousestyle #beforeandafter #budgetreno #farmhousebathroom

Lets look back at the goals from week 1 and see how it all came together. Post may contain affiliate links.

Remove the Wallpaper and Paint:

This turned out to be the hardest part of the whole challenge! The wallpaper was attached to raw drywall, so most of the drywall paper ripped off with the removal.

I spackled my heart out, but the walls are not totally smooth. (I never want to do that again!) Even with my spackling struggles, I still think it looks a world better.

Update the Sink:

I used the Rustoleum tub and tile kit on the sink to make it a nice neutral white. You can check out the tutorial here.

We used two small pieces of scrap butcher block we had in the shed to put together a countertop. It worked out that there is only one small visible seam in the front. I love that we found such a great way to use those scrap pieces!

I wanted to seal the counter with dark tung oil to match the kitchen butcher block, but realized I was all out of the oil. I definitely didn’t have the budget for more, so I ended up using a stain we had in a similar hue.

The sink skirt was an old curtain I had that was stained with paint. I cut it down and hemmed it with an old bottle of liquid stitch I found in my sewing tin.

$100 room challenge. 1960's bathroom makeover with a $100 budget. Painting the sink and adding a countertop. Farmhouse style powder room makeover on a budget. #budgetdecor #homediy #farmhousestyle #beforeandafter #budgetreno #farmhousebathroom

Shiplap Accent Wall and Open Shelving:

I bought the shiplap boards and had them cut at Home Depot. The cuts weren’t completely precise, but with a little caulk it looks clean and finished.

I didn’t paint the shiplap due to time and budget. Even so, I think it looks great in primer white!

The open shelving came together for less than $20! I found these wonderful shelf brackets on Amazon, they even included screws and anchors.

The three shelves were made from a 6-foot board from Home Depot. It was one of the easiest projects in the bathroom, and I am loving it!

Open shelving wall for under $20 $100 room challenge. 1960's bathroom makeover with a $100 budget. Farmhouse style powder room makeover on a budget. #budgetdecor #homediy #farmhousestyle #beforeandafter #budgetreno #farmhousebathroom

The bathroom sign is a craft made from a dollar tree sign. So perfect for a small budget!

Replace or Update Mirror and Light Fixture:

We bought a glass cutter, and cut down a sheet mirror that used to hang in our master bathroom. We mounted it on the wall, and glued on this wood frame.

I’m so happy we got to this project, because I had a bunch of L brackets from some temporary balcony baby proofing when we first moved in. I have been wanting to use them for something, and this mirror seemed perfect!

1960's sheet mirror turned farmhouse bathroom mirror. $100 room challenge. 1960's bathroom makeover with a $100 budget. Farmhouse style powder room makeover on a budget. #budgetdecor #homediy #farmhousestyle #beforeandafter #budgetreno #farmhousebathroom

I had this light fixture leftover from years ago when I was buying things on Craigslist for the kitchen remodel. Im so glad it fit in this bathroom!

It feels a little like cheating that I have a light fixture just lying around the house…but this was just $10! You can get some amazing fixtures on yardsale sites, or with some spray paint.

Speaking of spray paint, I spray painted everything from the toilet paper holder, to screws and brackets, to mason jar and candle jar lids. My husband had a can of flat black spray paint in the garage, and I put it to good use.

$100 room challenge. 1960's bathroom makeover with a $100 budget. Farmhouse style powder room makeover on a budget. #budgetdecor #homediy #farmhousestyle #beforeandafter #budgetreno #farmhousebathroom

I had so much fun with this challenge, and it reminded me that I have way more to work with than I realize. Our shed has plenty of half used paints and boards and random hardware. Sometimes I forget it is there and just run out to buy new.

Here is what we spent on the $100 Room Challenge:

  • Rustoleum Tub and Tile Kit: $23.68
  • Spackle: $7.45 $13.03 (We needed even more!)
  • Shiplap: $26.93
  • Wood from the Restore: $1.60
  • Wood for shelves: $9.38
  • Paint brush: $1.00
  • Basket: $1.00
  • Sign: $1.00
  • Finish Nails: $2.03
  • Glass Cutting tool: $3.36 (we had one, but can’t find it anywhere, ugh!)
  • Shelf brackets: $9.10
  • Paint: $-6.00 ($15 rebate on $9 can of oops paint!)
  • Brackets for butcher block $4.00
  • Wood putty $4.49
  • Tension Rod $2.97
  • Screws $1.26

Total: $98.84 if you count the $6 paint rebate bonus!

Check out the other weeks of this challenge below!

Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4

Many incredible bloggers transformed their spaces for this challenge. See the link up below for some amazing inspiration!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

18 thoughts on “Farmhouse Powder Room Makeover, $100 Room Challenge